Many companies offer yoga at workplace, to improve the employee wellness and wellness in the workplace. Stress, headaches, indifferent health are some of the very common reasons for employees’ absenteeism and reduced productivity which are costing American companies millions of dollars every year.
Health and the employee – Wellness in the workplace
Managements have been working hard to reverse this condition. Healthy employees help build stronger organizations with greater productivity, happier employees and less absenteeism. This will also reduce employee turnover and cost on insurance. So how can companies go about this change? Yoga, meditation and mindfulness are some of the measures taken by companies to reduce stress and improve health and productivity of employees. Yoga provides physical exercises and meditation techniques to improve both the physical and mental health of employees. Employees with good health are able to face challenges better and work better to give better output to the company.
Stress is the single factor that has been found to cost companies millions of dollars, directly on medical costs and indirectly on productivity losses. The American Institute of stress reveals that 90% of doctor visits in the US are due to stress and that U.S. companies loss $300 billion annually because of absenteeism and reduced productivity due to stress. CorSolutions Inc. states that companies spend $14,000/- annually per employee on medically related losses.
Why Yoga in Workplace?
Yoga has many advantages over setting up gyms and other physical forms of exercises. The investment made for yoga is relatively less. Setting up gyms require large spaces and huge investments for expensive equipment’s. Also, yoga benefits both the body and mind, whereas regular exercises take care of only the physical well being and not the mental well being of individuals.
Benefits of yoga for employee health
Some of the benefits of introducing yoga at workplace are:
- less stress: a majority of yoga practitioners do yoga for stress relief. Yoga and meditation helps reduce stress and promotes clear thinking. It improves mental clarity, focus and concentration and better decision-making skills.
- headaches: studies done on the benefits of yoga have shown reduced frequencies and severity of headaches including migraine. Yoga also helped reduce neck tensions and stress injuries.
- low back pain: studies conducted by NCCAM concluded that yoga reduced symptoms of chronic back pain, less disability and depression.
- fatigue: yoga provides more energy and vitality in the workplace. A yoga break refreshes employees and provides them with the energy to move ahead with their work in the workplace.
- Yoga strengthens muscles and improves digestion. It also helps reduce obesity.
- Certain yoga postures help in the flow of blood and oxygen through the body and improves the mood and clear thinking and also removes fatigue and lethargy
There are many yoga practitioners and teachers who provide yoga at workplace. They teach yoga and meditation in small groups and the fee charged is nominal and depends on the number of employees per batch. The organizations or companies only need to provide a room or space to practice yoga. Customized yoga is taught according to the employee’s needs. Some of the yoga teachers even provide the yoga mats. Employees need not go out of the office to practice yoga. Yoga exercises can be modified to suit the employees’ requirements.
Thus Corporate Yoga, helps both the employers and employees. Employees become healthy and better focused and are able to work better. Yoga reduces fatigue and improves energy levels. Employers are benefit from the increased productivity and efficiency of the employees.