Are you planning to join some yoga classes during your pregnancy??
Yoga for stress during pregnancy keeps her remain calm and relaxed, throughout her pregnancy period. Pregnancy is a most wonderful time in the life of a woman. She wants her baby to remain happy and healthy inside her womb. But this delicate phase brings lot of changes in her body and mind making her over-depressed. This increasing levels of stress can lead to several types of complications during pregnancy. Performing yoga during these days can help in smooth delivery without any complications.
- Yoga for stress during pregnancy
- Reasons of anxiety during pregnancy
- Destructive effects of stress
- Tips to ponder before practice
- Different types of poses
- Sukhasana (Easy pose)
- Tadasana (Mountain pose)
- Parvatasana (Mountain pose)
- Seated Side Stretch
- Ardha Kati Chakrasana (Half waist rotation pose)
- Triangle pose (Uthishta Trikonasana)
- Uttanasana (Standing forward bend)
- Virabhadrasana 1 (Warrior pose 1)
- Virabhadrasana 2 (Warrior pose 2)
- Meru Vakrasana (Seated twist pose)
- Utkata Konasana (Goddess pose)
- Kashta takshan asana (Chopping Wood pose)
- Matsya Kridasa (Flapping fish pose)
- Dandasana (Staff pose)
- Chakki Chalanasana (Churning the Mill Pose)
- Supta Udarakarshanasana (Sleeping abdominal stretch pose)
What are the reasons for anxiety during pregnancy?
Hormonal changes raises the level of stress in pregnant ladies. They experience certain kinds of physical issues like vomiting, nausea, backache, fatigue etc. Another important thing is, the worry about the delivery period. Like what will happen during the labor and birth. Similarly, work pressure in case of working women, can also have a worst effect during pregnancy.
Do you know, what are the worst effects of stress
I guess, many expectant mother don’t know, how stress and anxiety can affect them…. Well, here’s an answer for this.
Long lasting stress: This can stimulate certain hormones. Which can lead to the development of serious infections in the uterus. Resulting in premature birth of the baby (mostly before 37 weeks of pregnancy). Sometimes the baby may be an underweight baby, less than 5.5 lb. To cope with this stress many women start the habit of drinking and smoking. Where, they don’t realize this can damage both the mom as well as the baby’s health.
Try to figure out the reasons behind your anxiety and stress. Practice yoga and meditation for relaxation!!!
Here are certain poses to reduce stress during this time. Start from today itself!!!
Just give a look to these tips before moving into practice
- Never keep yourself dehydrated.
- Don’t hold the poses for a long time. Try to keep moving in between.
- Never overstretch and avoid deep twists.
- Not to do forward bends after six months. Completely avoid poses like Bhujangasana and Dhanurasana. Since, these poses can harm both you and your baby.
- Avoid doing Kapalbhati and Bikram yoga.
Yoga for stress during pregnancy – yoga poses for pregnant ladies
The following poses are modified for the pregnant ladies. Keeping in mind of their comforts.
Sukhasana (Easy pose)
We may start from this easy pose. Keep your palms pointing upwards (Drona mudra). This can lower all your mental depression and anxiety.
How to perform Sukhasana yoga for stress during pregnancy?
- First, sit on the mat keeping your spine erect. Support your back to a wall.
- Next, extend your legs out to the front side and rest your palms on the floor. Bent your right knee and tuck the right foot under the left thigh.
- Then, bent your left knee and tuck the left foot under the right thigh. Allow your hands to rest on the thighs. Close your eyes. Stay in this pose for a long time according to your comfort.
Tadasana (Mountain pose)
This asana helps to clear the blocked spinal nerves. Lowers the level of back-pain by standing for long hours. Heightens the level of both physical and mental concentration.
How to perform Tadasana yoga for stress during pregnancy?
- Stand on the yoga mat and spread the feet at hips width. Place your palms on the sides of your body. Maintain your spine erect. Palms should face the thighs.
- In the 2nd step, lengthen your both hands to the front side. Unite them to form a Namaskar Mudra. Now, inhale deeply and elongate your spine. At the same time, raise your hands above the head. Stretch to the maximum level.
- Support yourself on the feet, placed rigidly on the mat. Then, move your head slightly backward. Keeping your eyes fixed on the fingertips. Inhale and exhale deeply. Hold this asana for about 10 counts. Repeat the same steps 5 more times.
Parvatasana (Mountain pose)
Parvatasana is a great stress buster. It works by improving the body posture. Provides relief from the lower backache experienced by you during pregnancy.
How to perform Parvatasana yoga for stress during pregnancy?
- Sit on the floor making your legs crossed and spine erect. Then inhale deeply, lift your both hands overhead. This is called as Namaskar Mudra. On attaining this state, close your eyes. Allow your mind to concentrate on your breathe.
- You may sit until you feel totally relaxed while breathing normally.
- Seated Side Stretch
- This pose stretches the entire body from hips to the fingertips.
How to perform?
Start from Sukhasana. Raise your left hand in the air. Next, spread the fingers and lengthen your hand in the upward direction. Take your left hand to the right side from (over) your head. Extend this to the maximum level.
At the same time, move your head along with the hand in the same direction. Continue the same steps on the other side. Make sure, you are comfortable while performing this.
Ardha Kati Chakrasana (Half waist rotation pose)
This Chakrasana is an ideal pose to get relaxation. The original pose of Kati Chakrasana is a great back pain healer. But one cannot practice it (Kati Chakrasana) while they are pregnant. This half waist rotation can strengthen the regions like (back, waist and hips).
How to perform Ardha Kati Chakrasana for stress duirng pregnancy?
- Stand with feet flat on the yoga mat. Extend your legs out at hips, making the hands rest on your waist.
- Breathe deeply and raise your right arm aligning with the right ear. Now, inhale and exhale folding your body and head to the left side. Note, your right hand must be brought into line with the ear. Then look over the left shoulder.
- In this step, breathe normally and stay in this pose for 10 counts. Then, take a deep inhalation. Come up and place your hands on the waist. Maintain your feet hard on the floor while bending.
- Continue the same on the other side. After this, do 5 more times.
Triangle pose (Uthishta Trikonasana)
Uthishta Trikonasana can tone and strengthen the digestive system. Gives a massage to the internal organs. Brings pliability to your hips. Here, you need to have: Two stools which are 2 feet tall.
How to perform Triangle pose for stress during pregnancy?
- Stand straight on the yoga mat. Place feet together and rest hands on either sides of your body. Remember, palms must face the thighs.
- In the 2nd step, gently spread out the legs (at the hips-width distance). Ensure, that the toes of both the legs are parallel to each other. Now, raise your hands (till they range) with the shoulders. Palms must face towards the ground.
- Inhale slowly and deeply. Bend leftwards, so you can balance on the stool placed on the left side. At the same time lift your hands in the upward direction.
- Next, incline your head to your left and upwards. So, that your gaze is fixed on the fingertips of the right hand. Stay in this posture for 10-20 counts. Breathe normally.
- Then exhale slowly and bring your body up. Return to the normal state. Workout 5 more times.
Uttanasana (Standing forward bend)
This is a modified form. Where one can relax the stressed out legs and back muscles. Well, it is not advisable to workout the inversion poses during pregnancy. But you can safely practice this, as this one is an exemption. Here, you need to use a chair (4 feet tall) for balance.
How to perform this Uttanasana yoga pose for stress during pregnancy?
- Stand on the yoga mat, making feet 3-inches apart. Straighten your spine, rest your hands by your sides. Palms must face the thighs.
- Now, inhale deeply. Bring your hands over the head spreading the palms out. Then, exhale and bend forward, allowing your body to swing away from the hips. At the same time, fold your hands and form Namaskar Mudra.
- Breathe normally. Maintain the pose for 10 -15 slow counts. Finally, inhale deeply and raise your body away from the floor. Return to the normal state. You may repeat it 5 more times.
Variation: Instead of bending the hands behind you. Bring the hands down and let the fingers touch the chair (kept in front).
Virabhadrasana 1 (Warrior pose 1)
Fortify your upper body with this warrior pose. This asana is beneficial for your back, legs, arms, shoulders and ankles. Besides this, it opens your chest, lungs and hips.
How to perform Virabhadrasana 1 yoga pose for stress during pregnancy?
- Stand straight placing your feet together. Leave the hands on either side of your body. Palms must face the body. Spread your feet (hip-width) apart.
- Hold your left foot hard on the floor. Now, turn yourself fully to the right side. Allowing the right foot to turn along. Note, both feet should be on the same line.
- Next, fold your right knee and take a slow deep inhalation. Gently raise the hands over your head and join the palms in Namaskar mudra. Then, stretch backward without putting much pressure on the back. Fix your gaze on the fingers.
- In this step, breathe in a normal way. Hold the posture for 10-15 counts. Exhale, bringing your hands down. Make the bended knee erect. In the end, spin to your left side. Bring your feet back together. Perform the same steps on the other side.
Workout 5 more times.
Virabhadrasana 2 (Warrior pose 2)
Virabhadrasana 2 is an effective hip opener. It gives relief from the back pain. Improves the fertility levels.
How to perform Virabhadrasana 2 yoga for stress during pregnancy?
- Stand erect on the mat, placing the feet together. Palms pointing the thighs and hands facing the sides of the body. Shift your right foot away from the left one (at a 4 feet distance).
- Rotate your right foot 90 degrees to your right. Fold the right knee making it vertical to the floor. Left foot must point in straight direction. Then, extend the arms outward, in other direction forming an angle of 180 degree on the ground.
- On exhalation, pull your pelvis down without putting much pressure. Slant your head to the right and keep your gaze fixed. Stay in this pose for 10 counts.
- Lastly, inhale and come up. Repeat the same on the left side.
Meru Vakrasana (Seated twist pose)
This seated pose enhances digestion, stretches the spine and promotes relief from constipation. Beneficial for the hands, legs and the neck muscles. Workout by twisting to the right and then to the left side. To get better results of spinal elasticity.
How to perform Meru Vakrasana yoga for stress during pregnancy?
- Sit by straightening your spine and head. Extend your legs in front of you. Now, inhale and rest your left palm on the right side of the body (near to the right buttock).
- Then, exhale and fold your left knee. Enable the heels to move as close as possible to the left butt. Maintaining the spin erect, spin slowly to your right side. Look over the right shoulders.
- Stay in this pose for 10 counts. Inhale and return to the initial state. Switch the sides and perform the same. This makes one cycle. Workout two sets of 5 cycles.
Utkata Konasana (Goddess pose)
This Goddess pose helps in faster labor, during the final days of pregnancy. Worth for opening your groin, hip and waist.
How to perform Utkata Konasana yoga for stress during pregnancy?
- Stand on the ground, placing your feet together. Make your head and spine erect. Straighten your hands by your body. Rest your palms on the thighs.
- In this step, slightly spread your legs, till they reach at (hips-width) distance. Next, turn your feet making 45 degrees angle with the floor. Don’t forget, your toes should be away from the body. Heels must be towards the body.
- Inhale deeply and bend your knees to form (a 90 degree angle) with the floor. Gently, descend your tailbone until it is parallel with the knees. Maintain your spine and head erect. Raise your arms to align with the shoulder. After this, fold your elbows so that the forearm makes (90 degree) angle with the shoulders.
- Spread out your fingers allowing them to point towards the roof. Take a mild deep inhalation and tuck your core slightly. When you push the tailbone down.
- Take a normal breathe and maintain the pose for 10-15 counts. Slowly exhale, bringing your hands down. Lift yourself from the squat position. Return to the normal state.
- Carry the same for 3-5 times. Pausing for 15 seconds in between.
Kashta takshan asana (Chopping Wood pose)
Sounds new!! Chopping wood pose stimulates the pelvic muscles, relaxes the pelvic girdle.
How to perform Kashta takshan asana yoga for stress during pregnancy?
- First, squat completely on the ground. Maintain a distance of 1.5 feet from each other. Now, inter-mesh the fingers and let the palms rest on the ground.
- Keep the arms straight and tuck the elbows within your knees. Raise your arms (to the maximum level) behind your head, leaving the spine stretched (as if your are bringing the hands to chop the wood).
- When you bring down your hands back to the ground. Just make a Ha sound. Expelling the air from the lungs. Practice 10 more times.
Matsya Kridasa (Flapping fish pose)
Flapping fish is an excellent relaxation pose. This is an easy way to relax, when your tummy grows bigger and bigger.
How to perform Matsya Kridasa yoga for stress during pregnancy?
- Lay on your left side, resting your head on a folded blanket. Again, roll another piece of blanket. Place this between your thighs to give additional support to the hips.
- Then, inhale and slightly bend your knees. The right arm should be folded across your stomach.
- Next, close your eyes. Relax in this posture for a longer period. In the last step, exhale and lengthen your legs. Slowly raise your torso off the ground.
Dandasana (Staff pose)
Staff pose gives correct posture to your body. It relieves both mental physical and mental tension. Strengthens your back and spine. Making you prepared for a normal vaginal delivery.
How to perform Dandasana yoga for stress during pregnany?
- Sit down, supporting your back on the wall. Extend the legs out in front. Then, hold the thigh muscles hard and flex your feet.
- Maintain your neck and back areas straight. With palms resting on the floor. Rack up your shoulders over the hips.
- Slowly lift the heels off the ground, making a 30 degrees angle. Stay in this pose for 15 counts and return to the initial state.
Chakki Chalanasana (Churning the Mill Pose)
This asana works by toning the nerves. Apart from this, it strengthens the uterus, pelvis and the abdomen.
How to perform Chakki Chalanasana yoga for stress during pregnancy?
- First sit on the mat stretching your legs out. Keep the spine erect, rest the palms on the ground.
- In the next step, extend your hands out in front of the body. Inter-mesh the fingers. Then swing, to the left side. At this stage, you have to make wide circles over the feet. This can be achieved only by stretching (forward and backward) to the maximum level.
- Repeat this 10 times more. Perform the same on the right side. After having a break (about 60 seconds), repeat one more time.
Supta Udarakarshanasana (Sleeping abdominal stretch pose)
The pose can fight against all the pregnancy related constipation troubles. Stimulates your waist and hips.
How to perform Supta Udarakarshanasana yoga for stress during pregnancy?
- Lay flat on your back. You may use the support of a cushion in case of complications. Slowly bring your hands under your head. Then mesh the fingers. Keep your head on this interlocked fingers.
- Then, fold your knees. Let the soles of the feet to rest on the ground. Exhale, fold your legs to the right side. With the help of knees, touch the cushion placed on the right side. At the same time, slant your head left. Make sure, that your spine gets a uniform stretch during this process.
- Stay in this pose for 5 counts. Inhale and return back to the normal state. Continue the same on the other side by folding the legs to the left side, head to the right side. Finally, relax and return to the normal state. This makes one cycle. 10 such cycles make one set. Workout two such sets.
Motherhood is a journey, which takes you with lots of sweet memories. Lowering stress is more important than anything else. If you are expecting, take your doctors advice and start practicing from today itself………..