Myself, Amanta Charleson, a software techie working in a private software company. My job demands me to stare for hours on the computer. Gradually and slowly I started realizing that my eyes were getting strained after few hours of working. I consulted with my family doctor who was an eye specialist. He gave me one eye drop to apply for 4 days and asked me to do eye exercises daily so that I won’t feel tired when looking at the system.
But there is something that actually surprised me. When I shared this with one of my bestie, who is a hardcore yoga practitioner, she asked me to do yoga eye exercises to improve eye health. And yes, she was right, it wasn’t the eye drops that gave me relief from eye stress, but the YOGA. I felt like my vision got much more improved and that I can now read things easily that were written very far away.
Although there are several ways to improve your eye health, including eye drops and eye exercises, yoga stands on top because of its many other health benefits. These days, yoga is gaining wide acceptance among the people in United States. It is estimated that there are currently 20.4 million Americans engaged in this yoga practice for healing different health issues. According to this survey, people are inspired to yoga due to the benefits of improved flexibility, stress relief, achievement of fitness goals and improved general health. Having the roots in India, Yoga is also practiced by several people for its spiritual benefits in terms of inner peace and calm.
One such health benefit of practicing yoga is that it improves your eyesight naturally. There is a specific branch of yoga exercises for eye health, called as the Yoga eye exercises. By doing this, your eye muscles become strong. It also improves your eyesight and relieves the stress and tension in the eyes. The practice of yoga in conjunction with eye exercises improve your eye health 2 x faster than any other methods. Yoga eye exercises are similar to the regular eye exercises. So here, we shall be seeing some yoga eye exercises to improve eye health for a better visual system.
When it comes to yoga, there are a series of poses/asanas; each asanas target different parts of your body that are responsible for relieving stress. Yoga exercises improve the flexibility and elasticity of the eye muscles, thereby increasing your mental focus and concentration.
For all those who ask me why the need for yoga eye exercises, I just have one thing to say that we now live in a world where our increased dependence on technology has weakened our eyes. The eyes are not designed to get stressed from studying, prolonged reading and continuous staring at computer without breaks. Straining your eyes may cause you to lose your ability to focus properly. So the only way to improve the visual performance without using any chemically formulated medications is to strengthen your eye muscles with these yoga eye exercises.
But before you begin with the exercises, consult with your yoga eye care practitioner to determine the health and condition of your eyes.
Following are some of the yoga eye exercises to improve eye health
- First of all clear your mind of all distractions. Now close your eyes as tightly as possible and try opening and closing them again. Repeat this exercise 6 times. You can do this by sitting on a chair or lying on your back on a couch. Find your comfortable place. Then close your eyes and focus on an object. Close your eyes again and take a few deep breaths and then visualize the object in your mind. By doing this, your visual system will get improved with concentration.
- For starters, try rolling your eyes in a clockwise direction and then reverse the direction to a counter-clockwise manner.
- The best way to relieve stress for eye muscles is to take regular visual breaks from reading, staring at the computer or writing.
- This involves focusing on other objects in the distance for at least 20 seconds at a time. Focus on distant objects several times a day if you are working on computers.
Perform focusing exercises. This involves 2 types of focusing exercises
- Hold a pen at arm’s length. Focus your gaze on the tip of the pen. Bring the pen closer to your nose in a slow and steady pace. Repeat this exercise 5-10 times.
- Focus your vision on the tip of your nose. Then shift your gaze to an object further away, either at arm’s length or 20 feet away. Then shift your eyes back to the tip of your nose. Repeat this exercise 10 times a day.
- Roll your eyes in the shape of an infinity sign. Trace this 8 sign with only your eyes slowly and repeat for 10 times, without moving your head, blink in between repetitions.
Palming exercise -yoga eye exercises to improve eye health: Once you have done with the eye exercises, you need to relax the eye muscles. Palming is a great way to cool down exercise. For this
- Find a chair and a table so that you can place your arms on.
- Rub your hands together to create a warm sensation.
- Close your eyes and cover both of your eyes with the hands. Do not press your hands against your eyes. Your eyes shouldn’t be strained here.
- Imagine yourself looking into the dark and if you see flashes of light, ignore it, as it will eventually go away.
- Hold this position for 1 minute or as long as you wish.
For better results, try doing these exercises when your eyes are fresh. I do mine the moment I wake up in the morning. I also do visual break exercise when am in the office. Trust me, you will really feel better.