Have you heard about desk yoga poses? Is your job slaying you? What is this life, where you just sit in front of a screen for hours, eating legion sugary snacks….. Obesity, Heart attack, Diabetes, Depression are some of the general terms, we would relate with an ordinary day at the office.
Many people think doing exercise on the yoga mat is enough to make them healthy. But think!! what about the rest of the hours at your workplace. Sitting in front of a computer is more worst than anything else. Spending hours in front of the keyboard, we will get pains in our hands, neck, shoulders and arms. This can stretch the muscles and may lead to the curvature of the spine.
Here are some simple office yoga poses to relieve stress
Wrist and Finger Stretches – desk yoga poses
Desk work builds up tension not only in your head. There are certain areas like the fingers, wrists and hands where extra blood flow is essential. You can practice these stretches in every 2 hours.
- Stretch the arms to the sides. Now with the help of your wrists draw 5 to 10 circles in both inward and outward direction.
- In the next step, quickly spread your fingers and close the fists. Repeat this for around 5-10 times to throw out the excess tension.
- Keep the hands one on the desk. Palms should face upwards and the fingers towards you.
- Then you may lengthen each arm out, bend the the wrist inward then outward (counter stretching) with your other hand.
- Clasp each side 5-10 breaths.
Seated Crescent Moon Pose – desk yoga poses
Theside body may collapse when arched over a computer for hours. Resulting in neck and shoulder difficulty. This pose allows you to return to your chair with a clearer head, towering spine and a keen focus.
- Raise your arms overhead, stretch the fingers wide.
- Lean to the right side and take 2-3 deep breaths.
- Continue the same steps on the left side for another 2-3 deep breaths.
Sit and Stand Chair Pose
Being seated the whole day, brings us difficulty in standing up. Mostly we have to rely on our upper back and the neck to raise the body. The following pose can awaken the leg muscles.
- Begin seated with the knees, bend 90 degrees keeping your feet flat.
- Push down from your heels. Care should be taken not to move the feet in the direction of your chair.
- Now stand and from this position sit straight back down.
- Avoid leaning forward or shifting the hips to one side.
- Repeat these procedures 5-10 times.
Desk Upward Dog Pose
After the above mentioned poses. Opening of the chest and shoulder is more important. Especially good for people with rounded upper back posture (resulted due to sitting in front of the computer screen).
- Keep your arms straight. Then slowly lower your hips in the direction of the desk.
- In this step, stretch your chest between the shoulders.
- Now smoothly slant your chin while sliding the shoulder blades down the back area. Maintain this pose for 5-10 breaths.