Also known as Vishnu’s pose, Anantasana is a reclining pose that is dedicated to Lord Vishnu. It may look simple but is in fact quite difficult to maintain a calm and cool attitude while in the pose. Anantasana has many health benefits apart from emotional too which you will read later.
What does yoga poses do to the body?
Yoga has been known from generations to benefit the mind, body and soul. Initiated in India by the great sages, yoga is currently taking on the whole world as many people realized its benefits.
Just like any new thing, yoga can be difficult for beginners but once you are in the zone, you will realize the changes within you and can become an expert in yoga. Uplifting yourself to a higher level, here are some of the poses practiced in yoga that can develop healthy stamina and strength in your body. Here are three of the poses that can help you keep calm and develop a sense of patience with limitless energy in the years to come.
Three of the popular inverted poses are headstand, shoulder stand and plow. They are fondly called as the King, Queen and Prince of asanas. You can derive fit muscles and boundless stamina that will keep you energetic everyday. The key is to bring the legs higher than your heart which will reverse the blood flow and other fluids in the body. This will alleviate any tension in your leg muscles.
The popular corpse pose (shavasana) is one of the relaxation poses that has optimum benefits. For starters, it can calm your mind and body giving you a good amount of relaxation. It will loosen up the tensed muscles of your body and helps them to ease cozily. Relaxation poses can be done during the beginning and end or during the middle of yoga practice. However, no matter how easy it seems, it can be challenging due to the our inability to relax completely.
Want to build strength in your arms, wrists and spinal area? Then plank poses are considered one of the best for you. If you are overweight, it can be thrilling to maintain a proper balance in your arms and that’s the best part of it. When you realize the extra weight, it can actually turn your negative to positive and help you to maintain a right weight and perform the right pose with appropriate balance. Another benefit of plank poses are they actually prepare you for inversion poses.
If you want to benefit as much as possible from plank poses try to hold for a minute. Side plank poses especially benefit the shoulder area.
Anantasana – pronunciation and meaning
The name Anantasana is derived from Sanskrit which is dedicated to Lord Vishnu’s resting pose. It is pronounced as A-nant-AWS-ah-nuh
- Anant = without end or the infinite one
- Asana = pose
Introduction to Anantasana yoga side reclining leg lift pose
Anantasana is one of the rare types of asana that can even be learnt at home. Derived from the thousand headed serpent Shesha over which Vishnu God rests under the sea bed. Before starting on with yoga practice, make sure you undergo proper warm up, pranayama i.e. breathing exercise etc. and sit in proper position to benefit accordingly.
Benefits of Anantasana yoga side reclining leg lift pose
Just like any other yogic postures can benefit your body in both ways – emotionally and physically. Anantasana has good benefits to talk about. Let’s see what are they.
- Tones the abdominal muscles
- Stretches the body sides while giving it a good massage
- The asana not only strengthens the armpits but also enhances the shoulder muscles
- Lying on the particular side can stimulate the blood circulation in the respective area automatically
- Increases the performance of heart/brain due to proper circulation of blood and oxygen
- Cuts down back pain issues
- Improves the digestive system
The best part about Anantasana is not just adults but kids and elder people as well can practice this posture due to its varied benefits. Did I mention that Anantasana can relieve mental stress and its co-relatives such as fatigues, depression etc.
How to perform Anantasana yoga side reclining leg lift pose
- Step 1: Lie down on your back in a straight position.
- Step 2: Now turn to your left side.
- Step 3: Lift the right leg in a 90 degree angle and keep the left hand below your head for supporting it.
- Step 4: Raise the right hand up in air and try to grab the toes of your right leg using the fingers. Do not bend your knee and keep it upright.
- Step 5: Maintain this position for 20 seconds. Count the breath and then release slowly.
- Step 6: Now turn to the other side slowly and repeat the process.
- Step 7: Make sure to count the breath everytime while changing positions.
Anantasana yoga side reclining leg lift pose – Warnings and contradictions
While the benefits of Anantasana are numerous, there are certain warnings attached to it. Anantasana is NOT recommended for people who are having sciatica pain, spondilitis issues or slip disc problem. If you or your family member who want to learn yoga is dealing with these issues, make sure they consult their medical practitioner before practicing this asana and learn it from a qualified yoga teacher.