Yoga – an all round exercise for physical, spiritual and mental practice that will result in great benefits. Nowadays many are leading a hectic life that is leaving back a lot of stress behind. Practicing yoga has helped a whole lot of people to have a stress life in spite of all the tension causing factors. Yoga has basically 5 principles- according to Jacobsen, yoga as a disciplined method for gaining a goal, yoga as a method of controlling our mind and body, yoga as one name of schools or systems of philosophy, yoga in connection with other words- hatha- mantras and laya, yoga as goal of yoga practice.
Adho Mukha Svanasana: Yogasana
This yogasana is pronoused as Ahd-ho MOO-kahshvon-AHS-anna. The word is derived from Advo means downward, mukha means face and svana means dog.
Starting Adho Mukha Svanasana
While practicing this pose, your body will form a triangle shaped or pyramid shaped pose or downward dog pose, from which the name was derived. This yoga pose helps in warming up before starting up with yoga. Have a detail study from an expert or through studies. Do not practice without knowing the right posture.
Benefits From Practising Adho Mukha Svanasana
ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA is mainly recommended for those who has shoulder, back, leg and ankle pain. It also helps in adding additional strength to the arms, feet and back. It also aids in energizing. It is basically a rest pose that can be practiced irrespective of time. ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA helps in relieving the symptoms of menopause period. It helps in improving the mobility of the digestive system. This yoga practice will help in stretching the hamstrings, calves, hands and your arches. It also elongates and helps in releasing the tension from your spine and related areas. This practice of yoga helps in relieving the stress from our life by calming the nervous system.
Do Not Practice Adho Mukha Svanasana If
Though adho mukhasana has mental and physical benefits, it has certain contraindications.
- Injured back: If your back is injured either during accident or due to trauma- then do not put a lot of stress and tension in your back or lower section of your body.
- Pregnancy period: Certain yoga is indicated in certain pregnancy period. But ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA is not recommended to be practiced during pregnancy. It will only hurt you and the baby.
- Eye and ear infection: if you are suffering from a long term eye or inner ear infection, it would be better not to practice ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA.
- High blood pressure: Practicing ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA will increase the blood flow rate and hence avoid it if you are having high blood pressure.
- Wrist related problems: If you are been injured with wrist issues in the arms or in the wrist, do not practice ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA.
Pinnacle Body Position In Adho Mukha Svanasana
Place hands towards the front of the mat that you are practicing yoga and place your feet towards the back. The hands should be slightly wider that your shoulders and the feet should be placed slightly narrower than the hips. The knuckle of the peace fingers should line up more to the outside of the wrist. The ears should be in the line with arms, the elbows creases rotated into the face of each other. The top of your head should extend towards the hands. The ankle bones lifted up and the heels should drop towards the floor.
Steps Of Practicing Adho Mukha Svanasana
After positioning yourself in ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA, initially inhale such that you pour in your weight into your hands from the very base of the palm through and ending in your fingertips so as to engage your forearms. To activate your feet, you have to spread your tucked toes. After setting yourself in such position, press your hands firmly into your hands and feet so as to move the hips towards the heels. You have to keep a gaze towards the neck and the floor neutrally. In middle of exhale, you have to extend into the legs so as to raise the hips. While inhaling and exhaling, keep the fingers firmly placed in the mat that you are practicing in. Towards the end of the exhale, spread your toes with fully extended elbows, heels drop towards the floor and the back of the knees continually open. Continue breathing and repeat from the first step.
Modifications And Props
- Painful wrists: If your wrist has minor pains, fold the mat that your practicing one or two times such that you place the raised edges under your palms. Practicing ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA in such a position will help in reduction of the flexion and will also aids in reducing the weight through the fingers.
- Tighter hamstrings: While practicing ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA keep a small bend in the knees- a very slight one.
- Tighter shoulders: Adjust the hands in a comfortable distance and position in relation to the shoulder- either wider or narrower.
- Problems with extended arms: Work to your fullest. It will take time to position yourself and breathe in and out slowly.
Are You A Beginner In Practicing Yoga?
It’s not easy to position yourself in yoga poses initially; it will take a short period of time to obtain results from yoga. The main key to enjoy the benefits from yoga- ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA is mainly patience. Your body needs a lot of ability to pose in such a long standing pattern and at the same time to build up the necessary strength that is required for support to hold on shape. It’s not only the strength of the body that is essential but also the strength of the mind within. While practicing ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA focus more on the wrist towards the hip and also from the hips to the heels. Initially do not focus more on the shape – keep trying and practicing ADHO MUKHA SVANASANA to your best- you will slowly find you are improving both physically and mentally as the days pass.